An official Cochrane policy. Last updated January 2017.
The Charter of Good Management Practice will help Cochrane to establish and maintain a culture of accountability, transparency and excellence in management behaviours.
The Charter will be implemented by Cochrane’s Senior Management Team and all its provisions will apply to Cochrane’s Central Executive Team.
In January 2017 Cochrane’s Governing Board confirmed that the principles of Good Management Practice contained within the Charter will be expected of the Directors and managers of Cochrane Groups; giving all those who work within the Groups a framework for what they can expect to see in the behaviours and approaches of all Cochrane leaders and managers. These Principles are:
"The nature of Cochrane’s work, and of our extensive network of staff, volunteers and stakeholders, mean that Cochrane’s staff work in a demanding, multicultural and diverse environment. Honesty, integrity and trust, together with the display and maintenance of high standards of professional conduct and competence, lie at the heart of best practice in management and leadership. Cochrane expects its managers to display these principles and standards in their working relationships with team members, other colleagues and stakeholders; and in their management and leadership activities undertaken on behalf of Cochrane.
The management of Cochrane is based on the following principles:
- Adherence at all times to behaviour and decision-making in accord with Cochrane’s mission and principles.
- Working to the highest standards of excellence in order to deliver quality products and services to our users, partners and other stakeholders.
- A commitment to providing these products and services with the highest degree of efficiency, innovation and effectiveness to provide maximum impact on health decision-making.
- A commitment to transparency, openness and accountability in our relationships, communication and actions.
- Promoting regular participation in a spirit of mutual respect and co-operation.
- Embracing the diversity of thought and perspective represented by all at Cochrane; and encouraging employees and collaborators to offer and use all of their knowledge, skills and experience.”
Cochrane’s Central Executive will monitor its adherence to and effectiveness of the Charter in the coming years.