Using Archie 'compare versions' tool
Using Archie and Microsoft Word
The ‘compare versions’ function in Archie is useful for quick comparisons, but there are limitations to what kinds of changes this functionality can display. If you need to know the details of every change made between two versions, this can be done quite easily using Microsoft Word.
- In Archie, open the first version. Select all the text (via your browser’s Edit menu or using a keyboard shortcut: Ctrl-A in Windows; Command-A in MacOS)
- Copy and paste into a Word document
- Save the Word document with a suitable name
- Repeat 1-3 for the second version that you want to compare.
- In Word, access the ‘Compare Documents’ function. In most version of Word this is found under the menu Tools > Track Changes > Compare Documents..
- You can then select the two Word documents you have saved and Word will mark up all the changes
- This can take some time if the documents are very long, so you can either be patient or use selected parts of a review.