Conflict of interest declaration: Martin J Burton

This submission is more than 12 months old!

Updated on: 1 September 2020

Roles in:

1. Financial interests

a) Received research funding: any grant, contract or gift, commissioned research, or fellowship from The Cochrane Collaboration or a related organisation (i.e. any organisation related to health care or medical research) to conduct research?
Yes - Funding from the UK National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) to prepare systematic reviews

b) Had paid consultancies: any paid work, consulting fees (in cash or kind) from a related organisation?
Yes - I have provided training in EBM, critical appraisal and systematic reviews to: University of Southern California (USA), Teikyo University (Japan). Some of these activities have been undertaken through the "Oxford University Consulting"

c) Received honoraria: one-time payments (in cash or kind) from a related organisation?
No

d) Served as a director, officer, partner, trustee, employee or held a position of management with a related organisation?
Yes - Employee: Oxford University Honorary consultant (clinical services): Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Director/owner: OXENT Ltd (provision of private medical practices [not including surgery])

e) Possessed share-holdings, stock, stock options, equity with a related organisation (excludes mutual funds or similar arrangements where the individual has no control over the selection of the shares)?
No

f) Received personal gifts from a related organisation?
No

g) Had an outstanding loan with a related organisation?
No

h) Received royalty payments from a related organisation?
Yes - I have received royalties from several book publishing companies for writing & editing books & chapters of ENT textbooks.

2. Do you have any other competing interests that could pose a conflict of interest that would reasonably appear to be related to the primary interest?
Yes - Almost any provider of health care (whether publicly or privately funded) may "gain or lose" from the publication of reviews, especially when those reviews relate to surgical interventions that are provided to patients on some form of "fee for service" basis. All those organisations for which I work and provide clinical care for patients may "gain or lose" financially from publication of Cochrane reviews.