Conflict of interest declaration: Clive E Adams

Roles in: Schizophrenia Group

1. In the past three years have you accepted the following from an organisation that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)?

a) Reimbursement for attending a conference or symposium (including travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
Yes - Deborah PG bought me whiskys in Madrid Colloquium when she was interested in not loosing the contract.

b) Fees for speaking?
No

c) Fees for organising education?
No

d) Funds for research?
No

e) Funds for a member of staff?
No

f) Fees for consulting?
No

g) Royalty payments?
No

2. In the past three years have you or your spouse/partner been employed by an organization that may in any way gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
No

3. Do you own stocks or shares in companies that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
No

4. Do you hold any patents for products that that may lead you to gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
No

5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?
Yes - I have lots. I may not be the best judge of these. I am interested in making sure the work we do continues. I am interested in ensuring the funders get the products they have asked us to produce. In order to do this I have conflicts over updating, splitting and prioritising reviews. I am an employee of a factory of positive results(1) - a great university - as many of us are - that wishes to be highly academically rated. This causes many conflicts in how to report and disseminate the product. If I sit on a guideline panel/funding body committee I am Cochrane-[positive]-biased and because of this may not be best judge of issues at times. I am keen to foster swift reviewing. I have no financial gain from this but if I can get reviews done more cost-effectively I would be happy working with organisations that do profit from systematic reviewing - such as Kleijnen Systematic Reviews Ltd (2) which does seem to be profit making and was established by an ex-Centre director. I have non-financial competing interests over data - I have never had to compromise for raw data (I think) - but may be tempted to do so given the right circumstances. I was also not sure how to report that I work within the Cochrane Collaboration - this is an organisation that clearly profits from the production of reviews. 1. http://szg.cochrane.org/sites/szg.cochrane.org/files/uploads/Prevalence%20of%20%E2%80%98significant%E2%80%99%20findings%20from%20trials%20from%20a%20well-defined%20group%20of%20institutions%20poster.pdf 2. http://www.systematic-reviews.com/