Conflict of interest declaration: Martin J Burton

Roles in: ENT Group

1. In the past three years have you accepted the following from an organisation that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)?

a) Reimbursement for attending a conference or symposium (including travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
No

b) Fees for speaking?
Yes - I have provided training in EBM, critical appraisal and systematic reviews to: University of Southern California (USA), Teikyo University (Japan). Some of these activities have been undertaken through the “Oxford University Consulting�?

c) Fees for organising education?
Yes - I have provided training in EBM, critical appraisal and systematic reviews to: University of Southern California (USA), Teikyo University (Japan). Some of these activities have been undertaken through the “Oxford University Consulting�?

d) Funds for research?
Yes - Funding from the UK National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) to prepare systematic reviews

e) Funds for a member of staff?
No

f) Fees for consulting?
No

g) Royalty payments?
Yes - I have received royalties from several book publishing companies for writing and editing books and chapters of ENT textbooks.

2. In the past three years have you or your spouse/partner been employed by an organization that may in any way gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
Yes - See (5.) below

3. Do you own stocks or shares in companies that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
No

4. Do you hold any patents for products that that may lead you to gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
No

5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?
Yes - Almost any provider of health care (whether publicly or privately funded) may “gain or lose�? from the publication of reviews, especially when those reviews relate to surgical interventions that are provided to patients on some form of “fee for service�? basis. All those organizations for which I work and provide clinical care for patients may “gain or lose�? financially from publication of Cochrane Reviews.