Conflict of interest declaration: Erik Grove
1. In the past three years have you accepted the following from an organisation that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)?
a) Reimbursement for attending a conference or symposium (including travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
Yes - Over the years, I have been invited to scientific meetings and international congresses with travel expenses, registration and accommodation covered by pharmaceutical companies. In this regard, I have received support from: AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Bayer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and Boehringer-Ingelheim.
b) Fees for speaking?
Yes - Lecture fees received from: AstraZeneca, Bayer, Pfizer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Boehringer Ingelheim and MSD.
c) Fees for organising education?
Yes - I am not sure how c) is defined compared to b). - but often, the lecture fees that I have received have been for lectures given as part of 1- and a few times also 2-day events, where I have been a part of the group preparing the scientific programme. Support from the companies mentioned under b)
d) Funds for research?
Yes - I have received a research grant (24.000 euro) from Boehringer Ingelheim. Also, as an investigator in studies (THEMIS, FLAVOUR, IDORSIA, SATELLITE), I have received some unstricted funding, which has been used in my research.
e) Funds for a member of staff?
Yes - The above-mentioned grant from Boehringer Ingelheim is primarily used for funding the salary to a medical student doing a 'research year'.
f) Fees for consulting?
Yes - Over the years, I have participated in advisory board meetings for: AstraZeneca, Bayer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Boehringer Ingelheim and MSD. Furthermore, I have received a consultancy fee once from Roche Diagnostics + Pfizer.
g) Royalty payments?
2. In the past three years have you or your spouse/partner been employed by an organization that may in any way gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
3. Do you own stocks or shares in companies that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
4. Do you hold any patents for products that that may lead you to gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?