Conflict of interest declaration: Carolyn A Young
Updated on: 22 April 2021
1. In the past 36 months have you accepted the following from a commercial organisation with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the CRG?
a) Support for attending meetings, including sabbaticals and study tours (this covers travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
Yes - Expenses from pharmaceutical companies and European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS). The companies are researching and producing therapies for MS and may in future produce therapies for MND.
b) Payment or honoraria for lectures, presentations, speakers bureaus, manuscript writing, or educational events?
Yes - Speaker's honoraria from pharmaceutical companies, MS Academy. Due to my role as a Cochrane editor I refuse all involvement in teaching on products marketed by pharmaceutical companies. I teach on generic subjects like remote consultations.
c) Fees for organising education?
d) Grants and contracts?
Yes - My employer receives reimbursement for taking part in pharma-funded studies but I do not personally receive any of these funds. I am in a consortium of researchers receiving unrestricted grants for quality of life research, from pharmaceutical companies researching and producing therapies for MS. I hold grants from MS Society and Motor Neurone Disease Association.
e) Funds for a member of staff?
Yes - The grants for quality of life research are used to pay research costs including staff.
f) Fees for consulting?
Yes - Ad board regarding services, standards or medications for Biogen, Celgene, Janssen, Merck, Novartis, Orion, Roche, Teva who hope to market MS or MND therapy.
g) Royalty or licences payments?
h) Payment for expert testimony?
i) Payment for a fellowship?
j) Payment for participation on a Data Safety Monitoring Board, Advisory Board, or Guideline Panel?
k) Payment for a leadership or other fiduciary role in other board, society, committee, or advocacy group?
2. In the past 36 months have you, your spouse/partner or an immediate family member been employed by or do you or they own a commercial organization with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the CRG?
3. Do you own stocks or shares in a commercial organization with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the CRG?
4. Do you hold any patents (planned, issued or pending) for products relevant to the broad topic area of the CRG?
5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?