Conflict of interest declaration: Carolyn A Young
1. In the past three years have you accepted the following from an organisation that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)?
a) Reimbursement for attending a conference or symposium (including travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
Yes - Expenses from pharmaceutical companies, Society for Research in Rehabilitation and Midlands Neurological Society. The companies are researching and producing therapies for MS and may in future produce therapies for MND.
b) Fees for speaking?
Yes - Speaker's honoraria from pharmaceutical companies, MS Academy. Due to my role as a Cochrane editor I refuse all involvement in teaching on products marketed by pharmaceutical companies. I teach on generic subjects like quality of life.
c) Fees for organising education?
Yes - Honoraria for chairing educational meeting for MS multidisciplinary team for Teva. Programme content not promotional.
d) Funds for research?
Yes - My employer receives reimbursement for taking part in international phase 3 studies. I am in a consortium of researchers receiving unrestricted grants for quality of life research, from pharmaceutical companies researching and producing therapies for MS. I hold grants from MS Society and Motor Neurone Disease Association.
e) Funds for a member of staff?
Yes - The grants for quality of life research are used to pay research costs including staff.
f) Fees for consulting?
Yes - Ad board regarding MS services, standards or medications for Actelion, Merck, Novartis, Roche, Teva who hope to market MS therapy. Wellcome Trust for oversight of research study.
g) Royalty payments?
2. In the past three years have you or your spouse/partner been employed by an organization that may in any way gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
3. Do you own stocks or shares in companies that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
4. Do you hold any patents for products that that may lead you to gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?