Conflict of interest declaration: Mike J Clarke

Roles in: Methodology Review Group, Breast Cancer Group

1. In the past three years have you accepted the following from an organisation that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)?

a) Reimbursement for attending a conference or symposium (including travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
Yes - I am the Director of the All Ireland Hub for Trials Methodology Research at Queen's University Belfast. This is a salaried position and my expenses are paid for it. The work of the Hub is intrinsically linked to research into ways to conduct trials, systematic reviews and other evaluations of interventions. It is therefore intrinsically linked to the topics for many Cochrane Methodology Reviews.

b) Fees for speaking?
Yes - I give invited lectures on the methods of trials and reviews. These are intrinsically linked to the topics for many Cochrane Methodology Reviews.

c) Fees for organising education?
Yes - I give taught courses on trials and reviews. These are intrinsically linked to the topics for many Cochrane Methodology Reviews.

d) Funds for research?
Yes - I am the Director of the All Ireland Hub for Trials Methodology Research at Queen's University Belfast. This is a salaried position and my expenses are paid for it. The work of the Hub is intrinsically linked to research into ways to conduct trials, systematic reviews and other evaluations of interventions. It is therefore intrinsically linked to the topics for many Cochrane Methodology Reviews.

e) Funds for a member of staff?

f) Fees for consulting?
No

g) Royalty payments?
No

2. In the past three years have you or your spouse/partner been employed by an organization that may in any way gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?

3. Do you own stocks or shares in companies that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
No

4. Do you hold any patents for products that that may lead you to gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
No

5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?
Yes - I am the Director of the All Ireland Hub for Trials Methodology Research at Queen's University Belfast. This is a salaried position and my expenses are paid for it. The work of the Hub is intrinsically linked to research into ways to conduct trials, systematic reviews and other evaluations of interventions. It is therefore intrinsically linked to the topics for many Cochrane Methodology Reviews. The security, importance and prestige of my post could be influenced by the findings of Cochrane Methodology Reviews and the importance placed on trials, systematic reviews and other evaluations of interventions. As a "professional researcher", I view the competing interests related to my work and interests and the publication of Cochrane Methodology Reviews as akin to those of a Co-ordinating Editor who is a salaried practitioner and active researcher in the healthcare area of their Cochrane Review Group.