Conflict of interest declaration: Alan R Smyth
Updated on: 23 February 2022
1. In the past 36 months have you accepted the following from a commercial organisation with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the CRG?
a) Support for attending meetings, including sabbaticals and study tours (this covers travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
Yes - August 2019 - SHIFT CF conference. One way airfare from Brisbane to Perth paid by Vertex.
b) Payment or honoraria for lectures, presentations, speakers bureaus, manuscript writing, or educational events?
Yes - August 2019 - SHIFT CF conference. Speaker honorarium.
c) Fees for organising education?
d) Grants and contracts?
Yes - $251,094 (£192,865) Vertex Pharmaceuticals Investigator Sponsored Award. Smyth AR, Marciani L, Gowland P, Spiller R, Ban L, Ng C, Major G, Barr H, Mainz J. The GIFT CF study (Gut Imaging for Function & Transit in CF). Chief Investigator. Awarded 2018 for 2 years. $718,011 (£550,320) Vertex Pharmaceuticals Investigator Sponsored Study Award. Smyth AR, Marciani L, Gowland P, Hoad C, Spiller R, Stewart I, Ng C, Major G, Barr H, van der Gast C, Mainz J. Gut Imaging for Function & Transit in CF ??? GIFT-CF 3: evaluation of triple combination therapy. Chief Investigator. Awarded 2020 for 18 months.
e) Funds for a member of staff?
f) Fees for consulting?
g) Royalty or licences payments?
h) Payment for expert testimony?
i) Payment for a fellowship?
j) Payment for participation on a Data Safety Monitoring Board, Advisory Board, or Guideline Panel?
Yes - US Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Therapeutic Development Network, Data Safety Monitoring Board.
k) Payment for a leadership or other fiduciary role in other board, society, committee, or advocacy group?
2. In the past 36 months have you, your spouse/partner or an immediate family member been employed by or do you or they own a commercial organization with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the CRG?
3. Do you own stocks or shares in a commercial organization with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the CRG?
4. Do you hold any patents (planned, issued or pending) for products relevant to the broad topic area of the CRG?
Yes - Patent: "ALKYL QUINOLONES AS BIOMARKERS OF PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA INFECTION AND USES THEREOF"
5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?