Conflict of interest declaration: Alan R Smyth
1. In the past three years have you accepted the following from an organisation that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)?
a) Reimbursement for attending a conference or symposium (including travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
Yes - LEAD meeting in Cambridge on non-tuberculous mycobacteria infection in cystic fibrosis (paid for by Vertex).
b) Fees for speaking?
Yes - Dec 2016 LEAD Meeting Liverpool. “Airway infection in young children with CF: greater knowledge, less certainty.�? Talk paid for by Vertex. Feb 2017 Killarney "Is Staph still the bogeyman in CF?" Travel expenses paid by Novartis. July 2017 Birmingham National UK CF Physiotherapy Group. “Pseudomonas eradication & suppression in CF.�? Talk paid for by Teva. Oct 2017 South West CF Group. “Reinventing clinical research from the bottom up.�? Talk paid for by Teva. Nov 2017 Bucharest "Management of lung health in paediatric patients." Talk paid for by Vertex. April 2018 Manchester CF Conference. “Matching research needs to patient expectations”. Travel expenses paid for by Vertex. Oct 2018 UK CF Pharmacists Group, Birmingham. “James Lind CF 2: From prioritisation to conversation”. Travel expenses paid for by Teva.
c) Fees for organising education?
d) Funds for research?
e) Funds for a member of staff?
f) Fees for consulting?
Yes - Advisory Board Vertex & PTC.
g) Royalty payments?
2. In the past three years have you or your spouse/partner been employed by an organization that may in any way gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
3. Do you own stocks or shares in companies that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
4. Do you hold any patents for products that that may lead you to gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
Yes - Patent applied for: "ALKYL QUINOLONES AS BIOMARKERS OF PSEUDOMONAS AERUGINOSA INFECTION AND USES THEREOF"
5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?