Conflict of interest declaration: Robert West

This submission is more than 12 months old!

Updated on: 15 February 2021

Roles in: Tobacco Addiction Group

1. In the past 36 months have you accepted the following from a commercial organisation with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?

a) Support for attending meetings, including sabbaticals and study tours (this covers travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
Yes - I have received travel funding from Pfizer who market varenicline for smoking cessation, and GSK and J&J who manufacture nicotine replacement products

b) Payment or honoraria for lectures, presentations, speaker bureaus, manuscript writing, or educational events?
Yes - I have received fees from Pfizer who market varenicline for smoking cessation, and GSK and J&J who manufacture nicotine replacement products

c) Fees for organising education?
No

d) Grants and contracts?
Yes - I have received research funding from Pfizer who market varenicline for smoking cessation, and GSK and J&J who manufacture nicotine replacement products

e) Funds for a member of staff?
No

f) Fees for consulting?
Yes - I have received consulting fees from Pfizer who market varenicline for smoking cessation, and GSK and J&J who manufacture nicotine replacement products

g) Royalty or licences payments?
Yes - I receive royalties from a book 'The SmokeFree Formula' and another 'Theory of Addiction'

h) Payment for expert testimony?
No

i) Payment for a fellowship?
No

j) Payment for participation on a Data Safety Monitoring Board, Advisory Board, or Guideline Panel?
No

k) Payment for a leadership or other fiduciary role in other board, society, committee, or advocacy group?
No

2. In the past 36 months have you, your spouse/partner or an immediate family member been employed by or do you or they own a commercial organization with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?
Yes - I am an unpaid director of the Community Interest Company, Unlocking Behaviour Change CIC which provides resources, websites, consultancy and training in support of behaviour change for the public good.

3. Do you own stocks or shares in a commercial organization with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?
No

4. Do you hold any patents (planned, issued or pending) for products relevant to the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?
No

5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?
Yes - I am an unpaid advisor to the UK's National Centre for Smoking Cessation and Training and developers of The Smoke Free mobile application.