Conflict of interest declaration: João Costa

This submission is more than 12 months old!

Updated on: 2 March 2020

Roles in: Movement Disorders Group

1. In the past 36 months have you accepted the following from a commercial organisation with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?

a) Support for attending meetings, including sabbaticals and study tours (this covers travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
No

b) Payment or honoraria for lectures, presentations, speaker bureaus, manuscript writing, or educational events?
No

c) Fees for organising education?
Yes - I am the vice-director of the Center for Evidence Based Medicine (CEMBE), which is a department of the Lisbon School of Medicine. This research Center is devoted to pre and post-graduate teaching, research and consulting for government and non-governmental organizations. CEMBE is not an independent legal person and therefore no direct or indirect payments are made to CEMBE or to any person of CEMBE. Funding for CEMBE comes from the Association for the Development and Investigation of the Lisbon School of Medicine, a non-profit association with the statutes of public utility and scientific patronage given by the Portuguese government.

d) Grants and contracts?
Yes - I am the vice-director of the Center for Evidence Based Medicine (CEMBE), which is a department of the Lisbon School of Medicine. This research Center is devoted to pre and post-graduate teaching, research and consulting for government and non-governmental organizations. CEMBE is not an independent legal person and therefore no direct or indirect payments are made to CEMBE or to any person of CEMBE. Funding for CEMBE comes from the Association for the Development and Investigation of the Lisbon School of Medicine, a non-profit association with the statutes of public utility and scientific patronage given by the Portuguese government.

e) Funds for a member of staff?
No

f) Fees for consulting?

g) Royalty or licences payments?
No

2. In the past 36 months have you, your spouse/partner or an immediate family member been employed by or do you or they own a commercial organization with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?
Yes - I am married to a chemistry who works at Hovione (Loures, Portugal), an international company specialized in complex chemistry and particle engineering. The clients of Hovione are the pharmaceutical industry.

3. Do you own stocks or shares in a commercial organization with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?
No

4. Do you hold any patents (planned, issued or pending) for products relevant to the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?
No

5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?
Yes - I personally know authors who might submit their research to publication in CMDG. I am Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics at Lisbon School of Medicine. I am a neurologist and neurophysiologist that works in a private hospital.