Conflict of interest declaration: João Costa

Roles in: Movement Disorders Group

1. In the past three years have you accepted the following from an organisation that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)?

a) Reimbursement for attending a conference or symposium (including travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
No

b) Fees for speaking?
No

c) Fees for organising education?
Yes - I am the vice-director of the Center for Evidence Based Medicine (CEMBE), which is a department of the Lisbon School of Medicine. This research Center is devoted to pre and post-graduate teaching, research and consulting for government and non-governmental organizations. CEMBE is not an independent legal person and therefore no direct or indirect payments are made to CEMBE or to any person of CEMBE. Funding for CEMBE comes from the Association for the Development and Investigation of the Lisbon School of Medicine, a non-profit association with the statutes of public utility and scientific patronage given by the Portuguese government.

d) Funds for research?
Yes - I am the vice-director of the Center for Evidence Based Medicine (CEMBE), which is a department of the Lisbon School of Medicine. This research Center is devoted to pre and post-graduate teaching, research and consulting for government and non-governmental organizations. CEMBE is not an independent legal person and therefore no direct or indirect payments are made to CEMBE or to any person of CEMBE. Funding for CEMBE comes from the Association for the Development and Investigation of the Lisbon School of Medicine, a non-profit association with the statutes of public utility and scientific patronage given by the Portuguese government.

e) Funds for a member of staff?
No

f) Fees for consulting?

g) Royalty payments?
No

2. In the past three years have you or your spouse/partner been employed by an organization that may in any way gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
Yes - I am married to a chemistry who works at Hovione (Loures, Portugal), an international company specialized in complex chemistry and particle engineering. The clients of Hovione are the pharmaceutical industry.

3. Do you own stocks or shares in companies that may gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
No

4. Do you hold any patents for products that that may lead you to gain or lose financially from the publication of reviews by your review group in the CDSR?
No

5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?
Yes - I personally know authors who might submit their research to publication in CMDG. I am Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics at Lisbon School of Medicine. I am a neurologist and neurophysiologist that works in a private hospital.