Conflict of interest declaration: Alexia Karantana

This submission is more than 12 months old!

Updated on: 14 July 2017

Roles in: Bone, Joint and Muscle Trauma Group

1. In the past 36 months have you accepted the following from a commercial organisation with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?

a) Support for attending meetings, including sabbaticals and study tours (this covers travel, accommodation and/or hospitality)?
No

b) Payment or honoraria for lectures, presentations, speaker bureaus, manuscript writing, or educational events?
No

c) Fees for organising education?
Yes - I am co-signatory on a joint bank account which funds the running of an annual local education research meeting for orthopaedic registrars in the East Midlands – this account holds funds accrued through sponsorship from a large variety of medical/surgical industry representatives including implant companies. This is not a conflict of interest as I do not benefit financially or otherwise, however I am declaring for the purposes of transparency.

d) Grants and contracts?
No

e) Funds for a member of staff?
No

f) Fees for consulting?
No

g) Royalty or licences payments?
No

2. In the past 36 months have you, your spouse/partner or an immediate family member been employed by or do you or they own a commercial organization with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?
Yes - Yes - I work 50% of the time for the UK National Health Service. Some reviews may identify ineffective treatments which are currently used by the NHS. The NHS might gain financially by disinvesting in these ineffective treatments. Equally, some reviews may suggest that more expensive treatments might be effective. Nevertheless, the position remains that the NHS as a large employing organization, may gain or lose financially as an indirect result of the findings from Cochrane reviews.

3. Do you own stocks or shares in a commercial organization with a financial interest in the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?
No

4. Do you hold any patents (planned, issued or pending) for products relevant to the broad topic area of the Group/Unit?
No

5. Do you have any other competing interests (financial or non-financial)?
No