The PICO annotation project is an initiative, which started as part of the Strategy to 2020, to complete the background work required to enable PICO views of Cochrane evidence in the Cochrane Library and elsewhere. We will make the content and data behind our reviews more useful and discoverable by completing the linked data annotation of reviews and protocols.
Cochrane PICOs are short summaries of clinical questions addressed by one or more Cochrane Reviews. Target audiences for Cochrane PICOs are healthcare practitioners and professionals, and other informed users of health care (e.g. decision-makers).
The objectives of the PICO annotation project are:
- To develop a complete set of PICO annotations at question, included study, and analysis levels.
- To add an annotation tool to the workflow in Archie, RevMan, and the CRS.
- To complete scoping of core APIs for external business cases and data feeds.
- To familiarise, engage with, and train CRG staff as required (particularly Information Specialists) in key areas relevant to linked data tools and annotation work.
Chris Mavergames, Project Lead firstname.lastname@example.org
Anna Last Medical Terminology Manager email@example.com
What tools do I need?
Login to the tools using your Cochrane login details.
You will need the following tools to produce PICO annotations:
1. PICO Annotator - to create PICO annotations
2. QA dashboard - to view the status of annotations being worked
3. The Cochrane Linked Data Vocabulary - to find terms to describe each component
within the PICO process
Communication and documentation resources
1. Annotation Knowledge Base contains full guidance on how to PICO annotate.
2. The term request form is available on Annotation Knowledge Base
3. Slack has an annotation guidance channel which is used as a discussion forum to post
queries, comments and resolve problems. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access
Last update: Dec 2021